Not many people know there’s an important piece of India’s revolutionary history in the middle of San Francisco.

At 5 Wood Street, not far from the Indian consulate, stands Ghadar Memorial Hall, a modest, little-known building that was the head office of the Ghadar Party, an organization founded by Indian immigrants in 1913 to liberate India from British rule.

To visit it you have to get permission from the Indian consulate. But now Indian Americans are asking that it be made open to the public, reports Punjabi weekly Amritsar Times.

Ghadar, which means “revolution” in Urdu, was the first secular movement to use arms to free India. It brought together the Punjabi peasants in the United States and Canada, along with students from the University of California at Berkeley.

The party was built around The Ghadar, a weekly paper with a masthead that declared, “Enemy of the British Rule.” Its first issue was published in San Francisco on Nov. 1, 1913.

The movement motivated thousands of Indians living in foreign countries to return to India and participate in the freedom struggle.

In India, the Ghadaris robbed treasuries for funds, collected arms, established bomb factories and mobilized students, villagers and troops.

Desh Bhagat Yadgaar Committee, which tries to keep the ideals of the Ghadar Movement alive, has formally requested in an open letter to the president of India, the prime minister and the members of the Parliament, that the Ghadar Memorial be opened to the public, and that its documents, pictures and other artifacts related to the movement be displayed for the public to see.